Frequently Asked Questions

Why do we have animal control laws?

Laws protect people. They also protect pets. Though many people feel a pet is an individual's right, some animals do cause problems and have to be regulated. The laws described here provide better health and safety for the public. We hope you will read them and understand why there are certain laws which you and your pet must obey. Copies of the complete code are available for inspection on this website, as well as at City Hall.

What animals need to be licensed?

Every dog or cat over six (6) months of age, being maintained or harbored, at any time in the corporate limits of the City of Monona, Iowa shall be registered with the City of Monona. Exceptions to this requirement include a thirty-day residency grace period and dogs/cats under the age of six (6) months on the required licensing date.

How long is the license effective?

Each license is effective for a 1- to 3-year period, based on the rabies vaccination schedule or certificate of that dog/cat. The license expires when the vaccination expires and you will have a 15 day grace period before any fines are considered.

What are the requirements for the license?

Every owner of any dog or cat over six (6) months of age, being maintained or harbored, at any time in the corporate limits of the City of Monona, Iowa shall be vaccinated against rabies with an approved vaccine administered by a veterinarian who shall maintain a record of vaccination for a period of at least three (3) years, and who shall issue the owner of such animal a Vaccination Certificate (which shall be retained by said owner until it expires and is renewed) and a vaccination tag.

How do I go about licensing my pet?

Registration can be done online at or you can complete the application form at return it to City Hall.

Will I get a license tag from the City?

The City will NOT be issuing a license tag. The veterinarian shall issue a metal rabies vaccination tag showing the name of the veterinarian, the tag number, and the year of issuance, as required by Iowa State Law, which will duplicate as the required tag for the city.

What is the deadline for licensing?

The deadline for licensing is March 1, 2012.

Does my pet have to wear the tag at all times?

The license tag issued by the veterinarian shall be securely fastened by the owner to a collar or harness which shall be worn at all times by the dog/cat for which it was issued unless the animal is kept inside. It shall be unlawful for any person other than the owner to remove the collar from the dog or cat.

Who will be responsible for enforcement of the licensing requirement?

Enforcement shall be the responsibility of the Monona Police Department or its representative. Veterinarians shall in no way be responsible for the enforcement of the required licensing within the city of Monona.

What are the consequences if my pet is running at large or is not wearing a valid rabies vaccination tag?

A dog or cat shall be apprehended and impounded by law enforcement officials if the dog/cat is running at large and/or the dog/cat is not wearing a valid rabies vaccination tag or a rabies vaccination certificate is not presented to law enforcement officials. Any owner of any unlicensed dog or cat is guilty of a misdemeanor and may be punished by a fine up to $750 or by imprisonment up to 30 days.

If my licensed dog/cat passes away or I do not own the animal anymore do I need to notify the City of Monona?

Yes, if you do not notify the City of Monona, an automatic renewal will be sent to you. You may notify the City of Monona by calling (563) 539-2355, emailing at, or visiting the City Clerks office. Please assist us by notifying us of any address changes.

What should I do if I've lost my dog or cat, or my animal is loose?

As soon as you notice your dog or cat is missing, or loose, immediately check around your home and neighborhood. Ask friends and neighbors if they have seen your pet and if so, when and where? If your pet is not found after your initial search, contact the Monona Police Department during normal work day. They will attempt to find the animal and return it to you if it has been properly licensed. All other animals are taken to the Monona Vet Clinic and processed accordingly.

What if I lose the rabies vaccination tag?

Call or visit your veterinarian where you received the vaccination and they will issue another one. Then report that new vaccination number to the Monona City Clerk as soon as possible.

©2012 - 2018  Created, Hosted, and Maintained by Monona, Iowa